There are loads of options these days for having other people do your dirty work. You can hire someone to mow your lawns, walk your dog and even build that kitset furniture from The Warehouse but you shouldn’t be paying anyone to sort out your tax refund.

There are loads of companies that offer to sort it out for you but at a ridiculous cost! Some charge up to 30% of YOUR refund for the privilege and considering how easy it actually is this is BS!

For most people in “normal” situations you won’t likely be due a refund, they only come about when for some reason your employers have paid the IRD too much tax on your behalf.

So what are the chances you’re actually due a tax refund? Quite high if you answer yes to any of these questions…

Have I only worked part of the year?
Have I had more than one job in the last year?
Have I earned less than $48,000 in the last year?
Have I received a lump sum payment such as a bonus or redundancy?

If you didn’t answer yes, there’s still a chance you’re due a tax refund so no harm in checking right?


Step 1

Log in to your myIR account. If you haven’t already, register for an myIR account on the IRD website

Step 2

Once logged in, under ‘Account information’ click on ‘Money back?’ if money back isn’t shown and your screen looks different to this example then you may be an IR3 filer which means unfortunately this guide doesn’t apply to you.

Claim a tax refund from the IRD

Step 3

On the next page in the ‘Start to work it out‘ section select the tax year you want to check out and click ‘calculate’. Basically this tool will figure out if you’re due a refund or not – it’s worth noting that the use of this tool doesn’t result in information being sent to Inland Revenue so there’s no harm in giving it a go!

Step 4

At the end of the questionnaire you’ll be told if you’re due a refund and what it’s worth. It’s important that you answer all the questions correctly and double check the earning information the IRD has for you.

If you are due a refund you can request a personal tax summary otherwise known as a PTS. As long as you have given the IRD your correct bank account when you set up your myIR account then you’re in the money!

If it says you owe money then stop, don’t request a PTS and hope for a better result next year. If you request a PTS and it works out to be tax to pay, you will have to pay that tax. Check out this page on the IRD website and pay particular attention to the bit talking about whether or not to request a personal tax summary.


Step 5

Spend your tax refund!


Please use this article as a guide, it should not replace advice given to you by a tax professional or the IRD. For help with this consult a professional or call the IRD on 0800 775 247.

Related Posts